The Otolith Laboratory Technician is responsible for all activities related to determining Pacific halibut ages from otoliths and reports directly to the Otolith Laboratory Technician (Snr).
- Age Reader, Age Determination Unit, Alaska Fisheries Science Center (AFSC), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Seattle, WA, 1990-2013
- Seasonal port sampler and age room assistant, International Pacific Halibut Commission, 1988-1990
- University of Western Washington 1985-1988 (Biology)
- University of Montana 1983-1984
- Cornish Institute 1980-1982
- Kastelle, C. R., Helser, T. E., McKay, J. L., Johnston, C. G., Anderl, D. M., Matta, M. E., and Nichol, D. G. 2017. Age validation of Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) using high-resolution stable oxygen isotope (δ 18O) chronologies in otoliths. Fish. Res. 185:43-53. doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2016.09.024
- West, C. F., Wischniowski, S., and Johnston, C. 2012. Pacific Cod (Gadus macrocephalus) otoliths as a paleothermometer: otolith oxygen isotope reconstruction in the Gulf of Alaska. Journal of Archaeological Science. 39(10)3277-3283.
- Johnston, C. G. and Anderl, D. M. 2012. Pacific cod (Gadus macrocephalus) in Age determination manual of the Alaska Fisheries Science Center Age and Growth Program. NOAA Professional Paper NMFS 13. Mary Elizabeth Matta and Daniel K. Kimura (editors)
- West, C.F., Wischniowski, S., and Johnston, C. 2011. Little Ice Age Climate: Gadus macrocephalus otoliths as a measure of local variability. In The Archaeology of North Pacific Fisheries, edited by Madonna Moss and Aubrey Cannon, pp 31-44. University of Alaska Press, Fairbanks.
- Kastelle, C.R., Anderl, D.M., Kimura, D.K., and Johnston, C.G. 2008. Age validation of Dover sole (Microstomus pacificus) by means of bomb radiocarbon. Fishery Bulletin 106(4):375-385.
Awards and Achievements
- 2011 Telly Award for NOAA Microworlds video—a film for use in Washington state middle schools which provides real-world examples of how microscope techniques learned in the classroom are used by scientists at NOAA http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi3548645657/
Click to open & scan contact information